Change of Venue

What does Change of Venue mean?

The venue is the location or court a criminal case will be heard. In criminal cases it is generally located near where the crime was committed. To request a change of venue a motion for change of venue must be filed, generally by the criminal lawyer. All requests for change of venue must be done through a pretrial motion within a specific time, generally before the case begins.

If you plead guilty you will not be allowed to request a motion to change venue. Change of venue requests are not guaranteed but may be allowed if there is too much pretrial publicity and the court decides you cannot get a fair trial, the court decides the current venue is not proper, or for the interest of justice, which can include travel costs, judicial expenditures, and location of witnesses or evidence. Talk to a criminal lawyer for more information about the rules and procedures and to help you select a venue which is best for your criminal case.

Previous Entry

Case Law

Browse Legal Glossary Alphabetically:

1 | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | Z |

Criminal Law Attorneys near Ashburn VA

Greenspun Shapiro PC

Greenspun Shapiro PC Profile Picture
3955 Chain Bridge Rd
Fl 2 Fairfax, VA 22030

Law Offices of Randall Sousa

Law Offices of Randall Sousa Profile Picture
2920 District Ave
Ste. 524 Fairfax, VA 22031

The Pickett Law Group, PLLC

The Pickett Law Group, PLLC Profile Picture
3607 Chain Bridge Rd
unit d Fairfax, VA 22030

Defense Attorney Mary Nerino

Defense Attorney Mary Nerino Profile Picture
Suite A1 223-A, 10605 Judicial Dr
Fairfax, VA 22030

Term of the Day

Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has several programs that help individuals acquire decent shelter at rents they can afford.

Category: Disability