H1-B Visa

What does H1-B Visa mean?

The H1-B visa is a non-immigrant visa for foreign workers. It allows companies in the United States to hire specialty workers for up to six years. To qualify for the program workers must have expertise in a variety of fields including architecture, engineering, mathematics, science, and medicine. Because it is easier to get an H1-B visa many companies will have their employees apply for this type of visa rather than a green card.

To use an H1-B visa the job must require a minimum entry of a Bachelor's or higher degree or its equivalent, the job is so complex or unique that it can be performed only by an individual with a degree, the employer generally requires a degree for the position, and the job requires a specialized knowledge base to perform the job. If the job does not meet the requirements outlined above there are other visas such as the H2-B visa that may be used.

Workers who have a H1-B visa may also apply for a Green Card while they are on their visa. If the worker is not given a Green Card or they do not gain permanent residence they must live outside the United States for at least one year before reapplying for another type of visa.

(Tags - Visas - Business law - green card )

Previous Entry

Guest Worker

Next Entry

Human Capital

Browse Legal Glossary Alphabetically:

1 | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | Z |

Immigration Attorneys near Ashburn VA

AG Legal, PLLC

AG Legal, PLLC Profile Picture
900 S. Washington Street
Suite 114 Falls Church, VA 22046

Andrews Law Firm

Andrews Law Firm Profile Picture
122 North Alfred Street
Alexandria, VA 22314

Murray Osorio PLLC

Murray Osorio PLLC Profile Picture
4103 Chain Bridge Rd
Suite 300 Fairfax, VA 22030

The Law Office of Jing Yeophantong

The Law Office of Jing Yeophantong Profile Picture
1700 North Moore Street
Suite 2100 Arlington, VA 22209

Term of the Day

Partition by Sale

Partition by sale allows property owners to sell property owned by multiple parties and divide the proceeds from the sale.

Category: Real Estate