I am not able to complete drug treatment plan. Is this a parole violation?

Prisoners may be released on parole from prison if the parole board decides they are no longer a danger to the community, and they have served the minimum amount of time for their prison sentence. Prisoners are not free from serving the remainder of their sentence. They are, instead, now serving their sentence within the community, allowing for restored relationships and potential rehabilitation.

While on parole, however, the released offender must comply with certain conditions. Prisoners who do not meet the necessary parole requirements can be returned to prison to serve out the remainder of their sentence.

Recently on our legal forum a user asked, “I think I might be violating my parole. I am supposed to take part in a drug treatment program, but due to health conditions and the expense of the program, I am not able to participate. What are my options? I do not want to be sent back to jail.”

Substance abuse treatment after prison

Everyone understands that substance abuse is a serious issue. If you are struggling with substance abuse there are a variety of issues at play which can include social, psychological, and biological factors. You need a treatment program that addresses all of those factors.

For example, you may need to complete a screening and assessment, have a detoxification plan, and have a full range of other treatments and services available- counseling, residential treatment, substance abuse education, relapse prevention services, crisis intervention, drug testing and monitoring, housing management, and vocational and educational training.

Now all of that might sound great, but the real question is how do you get the support you need with little money and resources?

Resources for drug treatment

Without more information about your state it’s hard to know exactly what options may be available for you. Many states do, however, provide support for prisoners on parole who need assistance with drug treatment programs.

For example, in Texas the Substance Abuse Felony Punishment Facility provides support to qualified offenders who need substance abuse treatment. Prisoners not only receive six month in-prison treatment programs, but they will also receive treatment for three months in a residential aftercare program, followed by six to nine months of outpatient care, and up to 12 months of follow-up supervision and support in groups.

Some Texas parolees will qualify for this program if they are voted in by the Board of Pardons and Parole.

The State of Texas also partners with a variety of different treatment facilities. A full list of these facilities can be found on the Texas Department of Criminal Justice website.

Parolees who do not live in Texas will probably have other options offered by their state. Unfortunately, however, it may take some time and effort to do the research needed to determine what services and options are available in your state.

Talk to your parole officer

Another option, after you have done some research on your own, is to talk to your parole officer. Not only should he be familiar with your case and the steps you need to take to fulfill your parole requirements, he should also be familiar with the drug treatment services offered by your state.

Tell your parole officer what you have told us. Tell him that you are unable to complete your drug treatment program plan due to your health issues and finances. Find out what he recommends for your case.

Bottom line:

Ignoring the issue and simply dropping out of your drug treatment plan is likely to get you sent back to prison. Talk to your parole officer and find out if you have any other options for drug treatment within your state.

Related Pages

Latest Question

Daughter has been served a contempt of court order what should she do?

Contempt of court is a serious charge which must be answered.

Category: Civil Law